Friday, January 29, 2010

Indietro

I know in a previous post I rather smugly told you I'd be staying in a castle this week… but you see I was mistaken. Turns out it's just a hotel – a very gorgeous historic one at that. Think tendrils of greenery spilling over intricate stonework. Big stone pillars and wells in the courtyard.

This is the view from my bedroom window:




Houses are more like works of art rather than practical dwellings, each individually intensifying the charm of their surroundings. Most are bold coloured antique-looking little things with intricate fencing, balconies and windows, elongated vertically. They seem to reflect the personalities inhabiting them.

Despite my instant-love reaction of this place, it’s difficult to adjust to its backwardness. Of course there's the obvious things. Like adjusting to an opposite climate, timezone and toilet flush. Then there's the extra attention you have to pay when crossing roads. I’ve almost been taken out a few times by people (who veer to the right rather than the left) and by cars - being accustomed to looking to the right when anticipating oncoming traffic.

At 5AM this morning - After growing sick of having ice cold showers in this climate - I call reception for help "Scusi, Non ho aqua caldo in bagno", I say. A male voice prattles at me and within 1 minute there is a knock at the door - I'm still in my towel. I have the tap turned towards red, for hot (like any sane human being would). The man turns the tap to blue and sure enough precious hot water cascades from the shower head. He laughs and as I thank him, he tells me “I stay and wash you just to make sure”.

No comments:

Post a Comment